Posted on by
Posted on by
Do you enjoy traveling the world or going to places off the beaten path? Are you tired of busy tourist traps that all look the same? Why not visit a city that will offer a new and amazing cultural experience? Try Bobo Dioulasso in Burkina Faso, in the western area of Africa. Read on to learn more.
The second largest city in Burkina Faso, just behind the capital city of Ouagadougou, Bobo Dioulasso has a population of more than 540,000 residents. Its name means “Home of the Bobo-Dioula” which celebrates the two languages of the major populations living there. However, the name does not represent the incredible complexity and ethnicity of this area of West Africa.
The Bobo-speaking residents call their city “Sia” and are proud of the fact that their home is economically strong due to its textile industry and agricultural trade. It is also a center of African music and culture.
Places Of Interest
There are a number of interesting things to see and do while in Bobo Dioulasso. The architecture is stunning, and the landscape and scenery are breathtaking. Here are just a few:
- The Old Mosque – built in 1880, this mosque is an example of Sudano-Sahekian architecture. It is surrounded by the old district and is an impressive sight with incredible history. Be sure to take the guided tour to learn more about the mosque’s origins.
- Cathedrale Notre Dame de Lourdes – if you are interested in sacred and religious sites, here is another “must see” to add to the list. Completely different looking than the mosque, this cathedral is quite large and awe inspiring.
- Mare aux Hippopotames – enjoy sightseeing along Tengrela Lake. Take a ride in a dug-out canoe and watch the hippos play and cool off in the water.
- Ma Copine Femmes & Creativite – For those who love to shop, this is a wonderful opportunity to purchase beautiful crafts made by local women.
- Dafra Pond – the source of the We River, this sacred natural pond is the site of many pilgrimages. Giant catfish live in it and eat the offerings of those asking the gods for favors and blessings.
- Guimbi Ouattara Mausoleum – this is the final resting place of the notable ruler of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries in Bobo Dioulasso.
- Houet Museum – Other important architectural structures are both the train station and this museum built in a style called Neo-Sudanic. The museum displays an array of cultural artifacts and interesting objects and is located near the city’s entrance.
Bobo Dioulasso is a beautiful city and should be at the top of your travel list. If, while you are touring the country of Burkina Faso, you find yourself running short on cash, be sure to use Sharemoney and ask a friend or family member or transfer funds from the US to Burkina Faso online. It’s fast and easy. Don’t miss out on any of the sights or souvenirs while you’re there – use Sharemoney by going to the nearest pickup location. It’s that simple!
Posted on by