Posted on by
Posted on by
Working full time to support a family is hard work. Even harder is making sure the money you make meets all of you and your family’s needs. As a recent startup Sharemoney know what it’s like looking for ways to cut costs and make your money stretch further. What can we afford versus what do we need to hold off on? Where can we find the best deals? What are simple ways to save money right now? All these questions apply to your personal finances so in this post we’ll show you easy ways to save money you can put into action today!
- Create a budget. Having a plan for how much you’ll spend does two things. 1) It forces you to focus on what you need vs. what you want. 2) It lets you know when you’re overspending.
- Create a shopping list. Writing a list before shopping helps you avoid impulse purchases. Also squeeze your shopping in between other errands. This way you won’t have time to consider extra items you probably don’t need.
- Set automatic savings. One ways of doing this is by setting up automatic transfers from your checking to your savings account. A second way is to have your employer automatically allocate a portion of your check to a special fund ex. a retirement account.
- Drink plenty of water. Drinking water keeps you hydrated and keeps you from spending money on cans of juices and soda. It’s cheaper and can also help you feel fuller after eating a meal.
- Eat breakfast. Breakfast can be a simple and cheap meal that keeps you from getting too hungry during the day. Foods to include here are oatmeal, eggs, toast, and cereal. They’re also easy to prepare!
- Turn off television, lights, mobile heaters, computers, etc. If you’re not using them you can save on your energy bill by turning these appliances off. Remember turning off a computer isn’t just the monitor. Actually shut down the PC.
- Fix things yourself using online guides. Try to avoid calling a plumber or a locksmith the next time something in your house breaks down. Online you can find tons of resources to fix things yourself. Do a quick search on Google or look for videos on Youtube that can help you do this.
- Cut your own & your family’s hair. Haircuts are often a weekly expense but they don’t have to be. Buy a pair of clippers for the boys and and invest in hair products for the girls. You’ll recover the upfront expense in just a few weeks. You’ll also save on tips!
- Cut premium services on cable, phone, and internet. The basics should be enough for cable, phone, and internet. Kids today spend enough time online and in front of the television so it’ll be good for them to play outside and with their friends and families.
- Find babysitting partner families. By taking turns babysitting you can trade favors instead of paying money. It’s an easy chore that doesn’t require too much effort. Just find someone you feel comfortable watching your kids and work out what works best for you.
- Buy in bulk, do group purchases if need be. By buying in bulk you can take advantage of discounts you wouldn’t otherwise get. Look to shop at your local Costco or BJ’s or look for your groceries in bulk packages. See if you can pool money with your neighbors as well.
- Buy generic rather than brand names. People look to brand names because of the reputation they carry. However generic brands often are just as good for items like cereal, mouthwash, foot powder, etc. They’re often cheaper as well making them a practical alternative.
- Plan meals around supermarket flyers + coupons. Take advantage of what’s on sale at the supermarket. This will keep your dinners varied and less expensive.
- Go shopping after the holidays. After holidays like Christmas and Halloween specialty items are on sale. Nobody’s shopping for them again until next year so stock up one year early to get them cheap.
All these tips are easy to implement so pick one and start today! By taking these actions you can help your family’s finances to make sure you’ve got what you need when you need it.
Posted on by